The goal of art
is to constantly
try to express,
to go on endlessly
Pil Ryu,a visual artist from South Korea, is an active participant in international art fairs. He shares his vision of life and speaks of inspirations to represent in his works two worlds, the ideal and the real.
- When we observe your artworks, we see two opposite worlds, one that is characterised by pure joy and happiness and the other of anguish, sadness, fear, etc. One world is ideal and the other is real. Our question is Where do you draw the line that separates the two worlds?
- Like the two sides of a coin, there's an inevitable side to a person's mind. It is the criterion and judgment of my mind to distinguish that line.
- Is it possible to balance these two worlds?
- I practice fun imagination, happiness, joy in order not to lose the balance and always asking about deep thought consciousness and express the answers.
- In what situations do you associate with Mr. Fun?
- I like making joyful new things and fun fantasy, curiosity that’s what I’m associated with as Mr. Fun.
- Do you think painting is a search for fun and joy?
- Of course, I think the area as large and as wide as the picture is the best incomparable joy
- Why are all the animals that are represented without people grey? Is it a reflection of something?
- I pursue a joyful life, but I always think about civilization and nature in reality. I think this type of artwork is right for me to criticize civilization with a dark, strong touch of animals. That's why I express animals using the color grey.
- Music is reflected in your art, are you very inspired by music? Do you know how to play an instrument yourself?
- Sometimes I inspired by music and I know how to play harmonica.
- While you are painting, do you listen to music? If yes, what kind of music?
-I listen to music when I am painting, I usually listen to classic, 60-70 pop songs, jazz, it depends on how I am feeling.
- You participated in many art fairs. What has been your experience over the years? What do you like at fairs?
- Many art fairs were very helpful for me, art fair has advantage that meeting various artists and arts in one place, but it also has the disadvantage that you cannot show people a variety of your artwork.
- What is the goal of art? Art has to ask a question; art has to predict the future... Maybe something more?
- I think the goal of art is constantly trying to express, ask and go on endlessly.
- What project are you working on now?
- I’m in the process of working on large artworks for an art fair that will be in 3 years.
More artworks by Pil Ryu